Post-Master's Clinical (AP/LPC-IT) Externship Program
Marshfield Clinic Health System (MCHS) is a large medical organization with sites located throughout central and northern Wisconsin.
The mission of MCHS is to serve patients through accessible, high quality health care, research and education. MCHS providers work from a team based approach, employing physicians, allied providers, nurse practitioners registered nurses, medical assistants, and behavioral health assistants who all work together to meet patient needs.
Psychiatry and Behavioral Health departments are one of the specialties. MCHS offers multiple training sites located in Minocqua, Marshfield, Eau Claire, Rice Lake, and Beaver Dam.
What is an externship?
An externship is an opportunity for social work/counseling master's degree graduates to receive clinical supervision for the 3,000 hours needed for full licensure in the State of Wisconsin. MCHS offers a paid and benefit-eligible externship.
An Externship will allow you to:
- Practice existing clinical skills
- Practice under the supervision of skilled practitioners
- Enhance your clinical knowledge and skill
- Develop comfortability working with severe and persistent mental illness.
- Learn new techniques, views, skills
- Work with a team of professionals
- Expand personally and professionally
A. Personal requirements
- Master's degree in Social Work, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, or closely related field from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and/or the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
- The MSW graduate program must be in a clinical track (mental health)
- Ability to comply with the Advanced Practice Social Worker certification or Licensed Professional Counselor – In Training Certification within 3 months of hire
- Experience in individual, couples, family, and group therapy
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to working with diverse populations
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to working with trauma and personal issues
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication
- Proficiency with basic computer applications
- Must be self-motivated with ability to work well under supervision and follow all guidelines
- Interest in pursuing unrestricted licensure in the state of Wisconsin
B. Submission of material requirements
- Completion of the application and submission via email
- Submission of curriculum vita
- Submission of MSW graduate transcripts
- Submission of a written personal statement including:
- Reasons for seeking MCHS externship position
- Description of clinical orientation
- Personal experiences within the social work/counseling field
- Desired professional goals
- Summary of characteristics/attributes the applicant will provide throughout the internship
- Submission of three (3) letters of reference highlighting clinical skills and style
Submission of all information listed above can be sent directly to...
Timothy Foster, LPC, NCC
APSW/LPC-IT Training Director
Marshfield Clinic Behavioral Health
Chippewa Falls Center
2655 County Hwy I
Chippewa Falls, WI, 54729
Full time (40 hours/week) for two years: completion of 3,000 clinical hours; including 1,000 face-to-face client contact hours.
Online Application Form
Externs are selected on the basis of their application, transcripts, letters of recommendation and an interview. Each applicant will interview with the program director and/or other faculty supervisors and committee members as appointed.