Master of Social Work (MSW) Externship Program
Marshfield Clinic Health System (MCHS) is a large medical organization with sites located throughout central and northern Wisconsin.
The mission of MCHS is to serve patients through accessible, high quality health care, research and education. MCHS providers work from a team based approach, employing physicians, allied providers, nurse practitioners registered nurses, medical assistants, and behavioral health assistants who all work together to meet patient needs.
Psychiatry and Behavioral Health departments are one of the specialties. Sites are located in Minocqua, Marshfield, Eau Claire and Rice Lake. Externships are being offered only at the Marshfield site with plans to expand to ther sites in the near future.
What is an externship?
An externship is an opportunity for MSW graduates to receive clinical supervision for the 3,000 hours needed for licensure in the State of Wisconsin. It is a paid position with full benefits. How can an externship benefit you?
An Externship will allow you to:
- Practice existing clinical skills
- Practice under the supervision of skilled practitioners
- Enhance your clinical knowledge and skill
- Learn new techniques, views, skills
- Work with a team of professionals
A. Personal requirements
- Master of Social Work graduate from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) within the last two years
- The MSW graduate program must be in a clinical track (mental health)
- Completion of the Advanced Practice Social Worker certification
- Experience in individual, couples, family, and group therapy
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to working with diverse populations
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to working with trauma and personal issues
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication
- Proficiency with basic computer applications
- Must be self-motivated with ability to work well under supervision and follow all guidelines Interest in pursuing licensure
B. Submission of material requirements
- Completion of the application and submission via email
- Submission of curriculum vita via mail
- Submission of MSW graduate transcripts via mail directly from institution
- Submission of a statement via mail regarding:
- Reasons for seeking this externship
- Career goals
- Attributes the applicant brings to the externship
- Submission of three (3) letters of reference with particular reference to clinical skills via mail
Submission of all information listed above can be sent directly to...
Wendy Chryst, LCSW
APSW Training Director
Marshfield Behavioral Health
Russell Lewis Building
1000 N. Oak Ave.
Marshfield WI, 54449
Full time for two years: completion of 3,000 hours
Online Application Form
Externs are selected on the basis of their application, transcripts, letters of recommendation and an interview. Each applicant will interview with the program director and/or other faculty supervisors and committee members as appointed..