Women's health care how you want it.
Midwives have been around for centuries guiding women safely through pregnancy and childbirth. Midwife means "with woman"...with women from the beginning of pregnancy, through birth and beyond.
This tradition of women supporting women before, during and after childbirth is carried on through Certified Nurse Midwives at Marshfield Clinic Health System.
Our Midwives have been providing maternity and well-woman care since 1987, attending nearly 10,000 births and providing over 100 years of combined experience in women's health.
What is a Certified Nurse Midwife?
A Certified Nurse Midwife is a registered nurse with a master's degree in nurse midwifery. Certified Nurse Midwives pass a national exam that tests skills and knowledge in obstetrics, gynecology and newborn care.
The Health System's Certified Nurse Midwives are nationally certified to practice midwifery and licensed by Wisconsin to prescribe medications.
Midwives care for both uncomplicated pregnancies and some high-risk pregnancies. Should you encounter complications during your pregnancy or labor, our midwives collaborate closely with obstetricians.
Our Philosophy of Care
Giving birth can be a profoundly rewarding, personal experience for a woman and her partner.
Many women leave their births significantly changed – feeling empowered and confident; sensing a renewed closeness and connection to their partner; believing in the power and strength of their own body; and experience the incredible transformation from woman to mother.
For these reasons, midwives are honored to be "with woman" and able to help women birth their babies, their way, from the beginning.
- A woman's body is uniquely designed to give birth and in most cases, does so quite beautifully without intervention.
- Each woman deserves individualized care that satisfies personal desires and expectations, as well as emotional and physical needs.
- Each woman has the right to choose from various birthing options, and be involved in all aspects of her care.
- Each woman should have a safe, positive and rewarding birthing environment.
Quality care, with a personal touch
Midwives often spend more time with you during prenatal visits, labor and birth. Research shows that continuous support during labor results in fewer medicated births, fewer interventions, and a lower incidence of Cesarean births.
In addition to traditional maternity care, midwives offer:
- Support throughout your labor
- Water birth (at Eau Claire)
- Nitrous oxide (at Eau Claire)
- Epidurals, IV pain medication
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Lactation consultation
- Assistance with birth plans
- Family-centered care
Midwives also provide well-woman gynecology services including:
- Annual exams
- Birth control
- Pap smears and breast exams
- Vaginal infections and sexually transmitted infections
- Menstrual disorders