Maternal fetal medicine is an obstetrics subspecialty that focuses on diagnosis, treatment and care of expectant mothers and their unborn babies, who may have complicated health concerns.
Providers who practice this branch of obstetrics are also known as perinatologists.
Some women may be at an increased risk for complications during pregnancy if:
- Have a history of pregnancy-related complications like abnormal fetal growth, fetal anatomy or placentation and amniotic fluid volume
- Have high blood pressure, diabetes or other medical conditions
- Carrying more than one baby
- Experience pre-term labor
Maternal age greater than 35
Concerns about placenta, bleeding or fluid around the baby
Concerns about baby’s growth, development or health
Maternal fetal medicine specialists work with your women’s health provider, and can help with consultation and co-management of complicated conditions before and during pregnancy.
Find a Maternal Fetal Medicine Provider
- Marshfield Clinic maternal fetal medicine specialists provide:
- Maternal and fetal medical care
- Preconception counselling
- Ultrasound examinations
- Genetic counseling
- Hypertension care
- Diabetes education
- State-of-the-art diagnostic tests
- Tests of fetal well-being