Heartburn is a burning sensation caused by hormonal changes that slow down your digestive system, and by the pressure of the growing uterus against your stomach.
Food mixed with stomach acid is pushed up from your stomach and causes the burning, especially after meals. Heartburn has nothing to do with your heart.
To avoid heartburn, try:
- Eating 5 times a day
- Avoid greasy foods and other foods that do not agree with you
- Avoid eating just before lying down
- Change your sleeping position
- Sleep with several pillows to raise your head or elevate the head of the bed a few inches.
- Do not take baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to relieve your heartburn.
- Take a low sodium, low sugar antacid.