Children react in different ways when they find out that a new baby is coming into their home.
Here are some important tips to help prepare them for their new sibling:
- Talk to them about the baby and make them feel special and included.
- Explain what will happen when you go to the hospital; who will take care of them when you are gone; about how long you will be hospitalized; and when they will be able to see their new brother or sister.
- Children, especially preschoolers, need to be reassured that the new baby will not take their place.
- Let your child help get the baby’s room ready and encourage them to learn what a big brother or sister can do.
- Many hospitals and clinics now have classes for siblings who are “expecting a baby.” They can help you show the child how important they will be in the newborn’s life.
- Your library has books to help even very young children understand what is happening.