In 1916, six physicians - K.W. Doege, M.D.; William Hipke, M.D.; Victor Mason, M.D.; Walter G. Sexton, M.D.; H.H. Milbee, M.D. and Roy P. Potter, M.D. - practiced in Marshfield and joined together in group practice, naming the practice after the community.
Patient care, research and education were important to them and this common focus has stood the test of time. For example, these physicians hosted scientific meetings for many doctors in Wisconsin and beyond. This educational tradition and desire for cutting-edge knowledge has shaped the Clinic's character for decades.
By 1924, Marshfield Clinic was a formal part of the University of Wisconsin's first medical preceptor program, one of the first partnerships the Clinic would forge.