Individuals and families may find answers to a variety of health questions by having a genetic evaluation.
Geneticists are physicians who specialize in diagnosing medical conditions that have a genetic basis.
Genetic Counselors have master’s degrees in human genetics, and specialize in the study, evaluation and discussion of genetic conditions with families.
Geneticists and genetic counselors perform genetic evaluations for patients and families.
Value of genetic evaluation
An evaluation may:
- Help clarify genetic risks
- Determine if genetic testing is appropriate
- Provide a diagnosis for unexplained symptoms
- Provide information for family members about genetic conditions
- Identify an unrecognized need for specialized care
- Help patients and families gain access to appropriate genetic testing, clinical trials and support organizations
When to consider a genetic evaluation
You may have many questions about Medical Genetic Services. Here are some common questions to help you find the answers.
For additional questions, contact Medical Genetics at 715-221-7400 or toll free at 1-877-216-8535. We also have Telehealth services to provide care when, where and how you want it.