National Farm Medicine Center Offers Dairy Safety Consulting services.
Dairy farmers are finding themselves in ever-expanding business management roles, handling human resources, workers’ compensation and government safety regulations as the industry continues to evolve.
Agricultural Safety Consulting (ASC) is ready to help.
ASC is offered through the National Farm Medicine Center at Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation. ASC provides bilingual assistance in safety program development, implementation and management.
The program helps farmers identify and address hazards, understand regulatory compliance and program requirements, and teaches them how to conduct safety and health training services in English and Spanish. More information is available at www.marshfieldclinic.org.
As the dairy industry changes, previously unseen safety issues emerge. The total number of occupational deaths in Wisconsin dropped slightly from 2009 to 2010, but agricultural deaths increased 66 percent, accounting for 32 of the 91 total occupational deaths.
In 2011, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) launched its Local Emphasis Program to begin to inspect dairy farm operations in Wisconsin, focusing on common hazards.
ASC services also include:
- Identifying and addressing hazards created by mechanical systems, equipment, farm operations, work practices/behaviors and environmental exposures that can cause workplace injuries or illness.
- Educating farmers on safety and health regulatory compliance and program requirements related to confined space, hazardous communication, machine hazards, animal-handling techniques, electrical exposures and personal protective equipment.
- Conducting safety and health training services, in English and Spanish, which assist in regulatory compliance and promoting safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Identifying workplace exposures that create a need for additional occupational health services such as hearing tests, respiratory medical evaluations and fit-testing.
- Assisting and supporting management in understanding the importance of a commitment to safety.
- Demonstrate how an investment in safety is a critical part of a sustainable business plan.
For more information or to set up a consultation, contact Dennis Ray, firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-389-4999.
The Marshfield Clinic system provides patient care, research and education in more than 50 locations in northern, central and western Wisconsin, making it one of the largest comprehensive medical systems in the United States.