Pulmonary Medicine doctors focus on diseases and conditions that affect your breathing.
They specialize in treating the lungs and other parts of your respiratory system.
They treat critically ill patients with breathing problems as well as less severe issues.
Pulmonary doctors evaluate lung and breathing function for a wide range of conditions such as:
- Chronic lung disorders
- Infectious diseases of the lungs
- Persistent cough
- Shortness of breath
Lung specialists provide evaluations and treatment for these and other disorders and diseases:
- Fibrosis (scarring) of the lungs
- Inflammatory diseases of the lungs, such as farmer’s lung
- Lung masses and lung cancer
- Pleural effusions (fluid around the lungs)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Sleep apnea
They perform complete pulmonary testing, including sleep testing and studies.
Pulmonary doctors often oversee patients in intensive care with breathing difficulties.
Below are some of the conditions and treatments provided.