Our mission in Child Life & Expressive Therapies is to minimize stressful and potentially negative impacts of hospitalization to maximize opportunities for positive and supportive experiences.
During your time as a practicum student, you're a part of providing Child Life & Expressive Therapies to fulfill our mission.
Learn more about our services >
Practicum at Marshfield Medical Center gives you opportunities to become familiar with Child Life and medical settings. Your experience will provide a knowledge base to continue pursuing a Child Life career.
- To become familiar with hospital and clinic settings.
- To understand importance of family-centered care.
- To understand importance of cultural diversity.
- To learn therapeutic play and successfully carry out play interventions.
- To identify factors that affect a child's ability to cope with illness or hospitalization.
- To observe and become knowledgeable in medical play.
- To observe and become knowledgeable with various forms of preparation.
- To have exposure to a variety of charting methods.
- To identify coping techniques to be utilized by a variety of age groups and developmental levels.
- To gain knowledge of a variety of procedures through observation.
- To demonstrate professionalism.
- To maintain confidentiality, safety and infection control guidelines.
- To reflect and evaluate your experience.