Our mission in Child Life & Expressive Therapies is to minimize stressful and potentially negative impacts of hospitalization to maximize opportunities for positive and supportive experiences.
During your time as a practicum student, you're a part of providing Child Life & Expressive Therapies to fulfill our mission.
Learn more about our services
Practicum at Marshfield Children's gives you opportunities to become familiar with Child Life and medical settings. Your experience will provide a knowledge base to continue pursuing a Child Life career.
- To become familiar with hospital and clinic settings.
- To understand importance of family-centered care.
- To understand importance of cultural diversity.
- To learn therapeutic play and successfully carry out play interventions.
- To identify factors that affect a child's ability to cope with illness or hospitalization.
- To observe and become knowledgeable in medical play.
- To observe and become knowledgeable with various forms of preparation.
- To have exposure to a variety of charting methods.
- To identify coping techniques to be utilized by a variety of age groups and developmental levels.
- To gain knowledge of a variety of procedures through observation.
- To demonstrate professionalism.
- To maintain confidentiality, safety and infection control guidelines.
- To reflect and evaluate your experience.