If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with diabetes, here is some good news: It's possible to have a great deal of control over this disease.
By eating healthfully, staying active and losing a few pounds, you can manage diabetes and live a full life.
Marshfield Clinic can help. Diabetes self-management education classes are offered throughout the Clinic system and are ideal for people who have been diagnosed recently with diabetes as well as those who need to boost motivation to manage their condition.
The classes cover the following:
- What is diabetes?
- Monitoring blood sugars and targeting blood glucose values.
- General principles of meal planning.
- Sugar substitutes.
Self-care behaviors and healthy habits.
- Chronic complications and preventive screenings.
- Heart healthy eating, fat, fiber, sodium.
- Stress and coping, sick day management.
- Behavior change.
- Weight management, benefits of exercise.
- Eating out, recipe modifications.
- Alcohol guidelines.
www.marshfieldclinic.org/services/diabetes-education/locations for a list of Clinic locations offering diabetes education.