Patients in Wisconsin's Northwoods, and their grateful families, recently made gifts to Marshfield Clinic's Shining Star Program, in honor of caregivers who have provided exceptional care.
The Clinic's Development Department received six gifts recognizing cancer care providers and staff at the Marshfield Clinic James Beck Cancer Center in Rhinelander and Marshfield Clinic Minocqua Center.
Patients making Shining Star gifts have the opportunity to honor an individual or all the staff at a particular location. People making the gifts can also share a short message, if they choose, about how the recipient made a difference in their care or the care of a loved one.
"Our providers and staff do a phenomenal job, always thinking first and foremost of the patients," said Lila Kegley, oncology manager at both centers. "They always take the extra step and make sure the patients and their families understand the care they are receiving. It's not just a job; they really do care about the patients." Staff members include appointment and journey coordinators, nurses and nurse practitioners, and support staff.
Kegley said the nature of cancer care, with patients making many repeat visits, lends itself to establishing relationships with patients and their families. "There's a trust that forms, and we end up knowing all about their families and their trials and tribulations," she said.
The James Beck Cancer Center staff received three certificates and these two comments:
- "My parents were very impressed with the care my mom received. The staff is caring and thoughtful!"
- "The staff were very caring when my husband was a patient."
The Minocqua Center oncology staff received one certificate, with this comment:
- "They provide care and caring that manifests itself beyond clinic walls and hours."
Individuals honored as Shining Stars, with comments, were:
- Matthias Weiss, M.D. - "He gave me hope when I needed it. He was always there for me."
- Renee Trapp, health educator – "I met Renee 3 ½ years ago when I was in terrible shape mentally and physically. Renee was always so positive and uplifting that getting my life back finally happened. She gave me the strength to go forward and do so in the best shape I have ever been in. I'm still with Renee as she has become a very good constant in my life and still provides me with her inspiration to do anything I want. Renee is simply the best and I thank God for her."
For more information about Shining Star, please contact Tiffany Halan at 715-387-9189 or Halan.firstname.lastname@example.org.