Marshfield Clinic responded to the growing need for health care. For example, in 1956, Marshfield Clinic had 26 doctors; that number tripled by the 1960s.
Along with growing staff was the need for space. The first Clinic building was built in 1926 in downtown Marshfield. A new 212,000-square-foot facility near the edge of the city, physically connecting the Clinic with Saint Joseph's Hospital, was built and occupied in 1975. Additions were completed in 1984, 1989 and 2003.
Marshfield Clinic had one location until 1976, when the city of Mosinee invited the Clinic to establish a satellite location. The Clinic’s Ladysmith Center opened a year later, while Greenwood and Stanley practices opened in 1978. Ladysmith, Greenwood, Stanley and other practices had been Public Health Service (PHS) offices, which the Clinic assumed when PHS was unable to provide physicians.
Through mergers with existing groups, purchases of practices and primary development, the 1980s saw Marshfield Clinic established in Colby/Abbotsford, Chippewa Falls, Minocqua, Park Falls, Phillips and Mercer. These sites were followed in the 1990s by practices in Rice Lake, Merrill, Wausau, Eau Claire and other communities.
The Clinic system now encompasses more than 50 locations in Wisconsin, including dental services under the auspices of the Family Health Center of Marshfield, Inc.